Logo der Universität Wien
Sie sind hier:>Universität Wien >Philologisch-Kulturwissenschaftliche Fakultät>Department of English
FAQs prospective students

Alle anzeigen / Alle verbergen

Antwort auf/zuklappen

Are there any special pre-requirements for the Bachelor or Teacher education programme? Is there an entrance exam?


There are no entrance exams for the Bachelor programme English and American Studies other than a school-leaving certificate ("allgemeine Universitätsreife", Matura).

For the teacher education training programmes (BEd), a general aptitude test has been a requirement in addition to the school leaving certificate since September 2014. You can find more information on this exam here.

Furthermore, all students at the English department must pass a compulsory English language test (VELT) in order to be allowed to take ILSS1. This applies also to native speakers and students holding a IELTS, TOEFL or similar language certificate!

Antwort auf/zuklappen

What is the language test (VELT) and how do I sign up for it?


All information on the Language test can be found here. The VELT is a requirement for the course Integrated Language and Study Skills 1 (ILSS1) that can be taken at the earliest in the second semester (after the STEOP).



The VELT is offered once per semester at the beginning of the semester. With this test students must prove that they have the English skills required for studying at the department (B2+). All students, including native speakers and holders of an IELTS, TOEFL, or similar language certificate, need to take the test.



The VELT may be repeated as often as needed. Even though it only becomes relevant after the STEOP, we recommend that first semesters already take it before their first semester. If the result is negative the STEOP semester can be used to improve individual shortcomings of language proficiency, independently or by taking a language course outside the department.


The VELT remains valid for three semesters until it has to be repeated regardless of previous result.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

How important are language classes in these study programmes?


While language proficiency is an important part of the English Department's study programmes, our graduates will have acquired a far broader array of skills and knowledge, of which language proficiency is only a part. Important constituents of the study programme are linguistics, literary and cultural studies, and language didactics for the teacher training programme.


Please reconsider your choice of study if your goal is merely to learn the English language! 

Antwort auf/zuklappen

In how far is it possible to combine studying and working/having a job?


A significant percentage of our students is both studying and working. Theoretically it is therefore possible to combine studying with a job on the side. In reality, however, there are ramifications that should not be ignored:


  • Please be aware that a job takes up a certain amount of your time and that this may cause delays in your study progress and length of study.

  • The department does not have the resources to consistently offer courses with compulsory attendance (throughout the semester) outside regular working hours. Especially students working jobs with fixed working hours will need to find individual compromises regarding the collision of timeslots between studying and working. The director of studies is aware of this issue and will nevertheless do their best to offer courses in the evening as much as possible.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

What does "Studieneingangs- und Orientierungsphase" (STEOP) mean?


The STEOP aims to help students gain the necessary overview of and basic skills in the main areas of their study programme in order to decide as soon as possible whether they have chosen the right subject. The contents of the STEOP in a course of study is regulated by the University Act 2002 (in German):

Abs. 1: Die Studieneingangs- und Orientierungsphase ist als Teil der Diplom- und Bachelorstudien, zu deren Zulassung keine besonderen gesetzlichen Regelungen bestehen, so zu gestalten, dass sie der oder dem Studierenden einen Überblick über die wesentlichen Inhalte des jeweiligen Studiums und dessen weiteren Verlauf vermittelt und eine sachliche Entscheidungsgrundlage für die persönliche Beurteilung ihrer oder seiner Studienwahl schafft. [...]

Abs. 2: Zur studienvorbereitenden Beratung und für eine laufende Studienberatung ist für die Abhaltung von Orientierungslehrveranstaltungen zu sorgen.

Abs. 5: Die Studieneingangs- und Orientierungsphase dient der Orientierung über die wesentlichen Studieninhalte und nicht als quantitative Zugangsbeschränkung.

The STEOP of the Bachelor programme English and American studies can be found here.

The STEOP for the Bachelor of Education (BEd) can be found here.

The STEOP does not apply to MA programmes.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

Is it possible to start studying in the BA or BEd in the summer semester?


The BA English an American Studies can be begun in the summer or winter semester.

As the general aptitude test for the BEd English only takes place over the summer it is recommended to start the programme in the winter semester. While it is technically possible to start the programme in the summer semester, all required courses may not be offered during the summer term. It is, however, possible to take the STEOP exams during the summer semester also.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

What are the admission requirements for the MA programmes?


Information on the admission requirements of the University of Vienna


The admission requirements are defined by the curricula of the MA-programmes.


Generally this means: The admission to a Master programme requires the previous completion of a relevant Bachelor programme or an equivalent course of study at a recognised national or international higher educational institution.

If a course of study is approximately equivalent, additional courses and exams of up to 30 ECTS may be required of the student in order to achieve full equality status. These courses and exams are decided on during the admission process and must be completed over the duration of the students’ Master studies in addition to their regular MA courses.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

Which days/times are lecture free? How long are the holidays?


You can find the lecture free times and deadlines for every semester at studentpoint.univie.ac.at/en/studying/term-dates/. The subdivisions of the study year are based on the annual publication of the University Gazette of the University of Vienna.

See also: Dates & Deadlines

In addition to these dates, public holidays, which are not separately listed here, apply and are lecture free!


Antwort auf/zuklappen

Studying abroad: Which possibilities are there, and what are the procedures?

You can find an overview of the possibilities in general, and more detailed information about application procedures for the popular mobility programme ERASMUS at Studying abroad.

Antwort auf/zuklappen

Do I have to attend lectures?

Attending lectures is recommended as it leads to an easier understanding of the lecture contents, but it is not compulsory. The grade depends on the final exam only.

In contrast, courses with continuous assessment ("prüfungsimmanente LVen", e.g. UE, SE, PS, etc.) require regular attendance because active contribution is part of the final grade. The mode of grading is to be announced at the beginning of every course by the teacher/lecturer. It must also be stated whether and to what extent regular attendance is obligatory.


Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik /
Department of English
Universität Wien
Campus d. Universität Wien
Spitalgasse 2-4/Hof 8.3
1090 Wien

T: +43-1-4277-424 01
F: +43-1-4277-9424
Universität Wien | Universitätsring 1 | 1010 Wien | T +43-1-4277-0